The Name Erskine
The land that later became Erskine was homesteaded by Martin
Rathstock, Daniel Cameron, Ole J Branna and Helen R.
Erskine. George Q. Erskine later acquired the Cameron
and Rathstock homesteads. When the first railroad came
through Mr. Erskine evidently lost no time in having section
4 platted as an original townsite. Thereby the village
of Erskine acquired its name. Erskine was incorporated
as a village in 1897.
History of Erskine
Erskine is in the eastern one third of Polk County in Northwestern
Minnesota. Located approximately 90 miles south of the
Canadian border and 55 miles east of the North Dakota/Minnesota
Erskine sits at the junction of two very important intersections.
First it is the junction of two US highways: U.S. Highway #2 and
#59. U.S. Highway #2 in particular is a major east/west
artery. In addition to the highways, Erskine sits at the
junction of two major transcontinental railroads. The
Burlington Northern Sante Fe and Canadian Pacific railways.
Population: 503 (2010 Census)
Households estimate: 234
City of Erskine General information:
Organization: Mayor/Council/Clerk Treasurer
Revolving Loan Programs: Yes
Fire Insurance Rating: 3
Industrial Plans Approved By: City Council